1835 North Carolina Baptist State Convention appoints a committee “to consider the establishment of a female seminary of high order.”
1838 Thomas Meredith, founder of the Biblical Recorder, calls for an institution to provide "a first-rate course of female education." Thomas Meredith history
1889 After a delay due to the Civil War and Reconstruction as well as the general lack of interest in women's education, Leonidas Polk introduces a resolution to the Convention for a Baptist female college. His resolution is adopted unanimously.
1891 The state legislature grants a charter for the Baptist Female University.
1893 To raise money for the school, Oliver Larkin Stringfield begins traveling across the state and Fannie E. S. Heck organizes the Woman's Executive Committee of the Baptist Female University. Economic conditions in the 1890s make fundraising difficult and donations often are small, many one dollar or less.
1895 Construction begins at the corner of Edenton and Blount streets in downtown Raleigh. Adolphus Bauer, who designed the governor's mansion, is the architect.
1899 Baptist Female University opens in September with nineteen faculty/staff members and more than 200 students. James C. Blasingame is president. A college year is three terms of three months each. Room and board costs $36 per term, and tuition is $17.50, with additional fees for music and art.
1900 President Blasingame resigns after one year and Richard Tilman Vann is chosen to lead the University. An accident at a cane mill when he was a child resulted in the loss of both hands and most of his arms. Despite this, he obtained an education and was a respected pastor and teacher.
1902 The first ten students graduate in May; these women are referred to as "The Immortal Ten."
1905 Student government, one of the first in the South, is initiated.
1906 The tradition of the hiding of the Crook begins.
1907 In 1900, there had been a debt of $43,000, but by 1907, the University has an endowment of $37,000 and has grown to include six buildings and a library of 2,000 volumes. Students publish a literary magazine, The Acorn.
1909 To honor Thomas Meredith, trustees change the name to Meredith College. College name history
1915 After fifteen years, Dr. Vann (who wrote the words and music to Meredith's "Alma Mater") retires. During his presidency, enrollment increased to almost 400 and the endowment to $127,000. Charles Edward Brewer, professor of chemistry at Wake Forest College, is selected as third president. 1915 also is the first year of Stunt.
1919 Student handbook contains a welcome letter to "Little Sis Class."
1921 Meredith is admitted to Southern Association of Colleges and Schools. The Twig, the student newspaper, begins; it will be renamed Meredith Herald in 1986.
1923 Kappa Nu Sigma, scholastic honor society, is organized on campus by Dr. Helen Hull Law, professor of Latin and Greek.
1924 Graduates become eligible for membership in the American Association of University Women. The faculty presents Alice in Wonderland to entertain their students. Construction of a new campus begins on Hillsborough Street, despite the objections of some who think this site is too close to State College.
1926 In January, students return from Christmas holidays to the new campus with six Georgian-style buildings that form a quadrangle: an administration building, a cafeteria, and four dormitories.
1928 Association of American Universities places Meredith on its list of approved colleges.
1939 President Brewer retires. He oversaw the construction of and move to the new campus; enrollment has increased to almost 600. Dr. Carlyle Campbell is named fourth president.
1944 Baptist State Convention rejects proposals to merge Meredith and Wake Forest College.
1945 The first Cornhuskin' is held at Meredith.
1947 The Honor Code is adopted.
1949 Jones Auditorium is dedicated.
1953 Grimmer Alumnae House is built.
1956 Joyner Hall for liberal arts is completed.
1959 Hunter Hall opens for science classes. The building is renovated as a home for departments of Human Environmental Sciences (formerly Home Economics) and Foreign Languages & Literatures. Sciences are moved to the new Science and Mathematics Building.
1960 Brewer House is built for students of home economics.
1962 Carroll Health Center and Poteat Residence Hall are completed.
1964 Dr. Norma Rose is the speaker at the first Faculty Distinguished Lecture. The newly completed McIver Amphitheater is used for Class Day.
1966 Dr. Campbell steps down. During his twenty-seven years, enrollment has increased to almost 1,000. Dr. Bruce Heilman becomes Meredith's fifth president.
1968 The first African American students enroll; in 1971 Gwendolyn Matthews Hilliard becomes the first African American to graduate.
1969 The library moves from Johnson Hall to the new Carlyle Campbell Library; a sixth dormitory, Heilman, is added.
1970 Weatherspoon Physical Education Building opens.
1971 Dr. Heilman resigns as president. He is credited with continuing high academic standards, increasing faculty compensation and the number of faculty with doctorates, and expanding the student body by 44%.
1972 Dr. John E. Weems becomes president. Two new buildings are added: Massey House President's Residence and Barefoot Dormitory. The Continuing Education Program begins.
1973 Eric Charles Rust is the speaker at the first Staley Distinguished Christian Scholar Lecture.
1974 Cate Student Center is dedicated; Meredith names first female vice-president, Dr. Sandra Thomas. This is the first summer of Meredith Abroad.
1975 Varsity volleyball program is launched.
1977 Wainwright Music Building is dedicated.
1978 Sir Harold Wilson is the speaker at the first Lillian Parker Wallace Lecture. The lecture series continues to bring notable speakers to campus, which have included Nobel Laureate and Holocaust survivor Elie Wiesel, former U.S. President Jimmy Carter, and Associate Justice of the U.S. Supreme Court Sandra Day O’Connor.
1979 The Paralegal Program begins.
1982 Jones Chapel and Harris Building are completed. Meredith College becomes a full member of NCAA Division III.
1983 Meredith begins offering master's degrees in business, education, and music.
1984 The Honors Program begins.
1985 Mary E. Yarbrough Research Center is dedicated.
1987 Gaddy-Hamrick Art Center opens.
1988 The Graduate Program is named John E. Weems Graduate School. Meredith is chosen to participate in the North Carolina Teaching Fellows Program. When funding for the state program ends in 2012, Meredith launches its own program, the Meredith Teaching Fellows.
1991 Meredith celebrates its centennial anniversary. Also, the Brewer House was converted to the Ellen Brewer Lab Home for Infants and Toddlers to serve as a model of quality care for young children.
1993 CamCards are issued to Meredith students. Campbell Library gets its first computerized online library system.
1994 Ledford Hall is dedicated.
1995 Meredith Autism Program begins.
1996 Park Center opens.
1997 Association for Black Awareness changes its name to Association for Cultural Awareness. Meredith and Baptist State Convention formally redefine their relationship.
1999 The twenty-seven year Weems presidency ends; during these years, the size of both the student body and the faculty nearly double. Dr. Maureen A. Hartford is chosen as first female president.
2001 Meredith Technology Initiative begins, providing laptop computers for incoming students. Through the leadership of Elizabeth Triplett Beam, '72, and Ione Kemp Knight, '43, the Alumnae Legacy Steering Committee begins work on establishing Meredith's first full-tuition merit scholarship. Meredith is the first women's college in the nation to become a campus-based site for the LeaderShape Institute.
2002 Four men graduate from the M.B.A. program, becoming the first men in the College's history to earn degrees.
2003 Science and Mathematics Building opens. Since becoming president, Dr. Hartford has introduced four initiatives: Science and Mathematics, Undergraduate Research Opportunities, Meredith Technology, and Service Learning and Leadership. Meredith remains the largest private college in the Southeast for women.
2004 The Campaign for Meredith, the College's largest fundraising initiative, enters its public phase with a goal of raising $33.5 million.
2005 Cross Country is added to the College's intercollegiate athletic program.
2007 The Campaign for Meredith concludes, raising more than $41.5 million. The campaign exceeded its goal by over $8 million.
The Alumnae Legacy Steering Committee awards the first Meredith Legacy Scholarships to Sarah Beth Phelps, '11, and Erin Huber, '11. Meredith Avenging Angels join the USA South Conference.
2009 Meredith opens a permanent international site in Sansepolcro, Italy. The largest first-year class in the College's history enrolls.
The newly constructed LEED-certified apartments, The Oaks, and athletic field and track complex open on campus.
2010 The School of Business earns Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business (AACSB) accreditation. Meredith is only one of two women's colleges in the world accredited by AACSB International.
2011 Dr. Jo Allen becomes Meredith's 8th president on July 1, 2011. Dr. Allen is the first Meredith graduate to hold the office. Dr. Jo Allen history
2013 The first TEDx Meredith College is held on campus.
Meredith launches the Meredith College | Going Strong brand initiative.
2014 The College announced StrongPoints®, an advising and personal coaching program designed to help students maximize their college experience.
2015 Johnson Hall was renovated and the new Ammons Welcome Center was created.
Meredith launched Stronger U, personal and professional development programs for women.
2016 Meredith added track and field as its eighth varsity sport.
Meredith celebrated the beginning of its 125th anniversary year.
2018 Meredith launched after-school care program.
2019 Carlyle Campbell Library celebrates 50 years in building.