This Research Guide is your tutorial for ENG 111. In this tutorial you will learn foundational research skills such as how to choose a good topic and evaluate the sources you find.
The research strategies you learn in this course can be applied to your other Meredith courses and in your career. These research skills will keep you going strong as a student and beyond!
Here are the questions that you should be able to answer after completing the Information Literacy unit. Use this as a guide as you review the tutorial.
Research is a lot like an investigation. You need to ask questions about the topic you're interested in, and then find sources to help you answer those questions and gain a better understanding of the topic. Be open-minded about the information you find, so that you let the research guide you, even if that means revising your topic.
Here are some steps to help you get you started with your research:
1. Analyze the assignment so you know what you are expected to accomplish.
2. Identify a preliminary research topic that you would like to explore, including the questions you want to answer.
3. Search for basic information about your topic.
4. Write a research question or a thesis.
5. Find sources to help you address your research question or thesis
6. Incorporate the information you have found into your paper.
Carlyle Campbell Library
3800 Hillsborough St.
Raleigh, NC 27607