Skip to Main Content
Word Documents can be made accessible BEFORE and AFTER a document is created, it is much EASIER to create an accessible document then to fix a document after it has been created.
Main errors to watch for:
- Unnecessary use of spacebar
- Word can automatically create a table of contents
- Make sure your document is formatted using styles and layout
- Add ALT-Text to images, tables, and graphs
- DO NOT use random lines, spaces, dots, shapes, etc. to create tables, just use the table tool.
- Recommend using Word suggested margins. Sometimes custom margins have a difficult time adjust between PDF, Word, Pages, etc.
After checking accessibility, if your document needs work it may look like this:
The primary area to focus on first is Errors. Secondarily, Warnings. Lastly, Tips.