Home economics students practiced housekeeping skills during a month living in the Home Management Apartment, then located in Vann Hall and made up from three suites. The "apartment" moved to the Brewer House in 1960. This image is from 1940.
A typical 1940 dorm room - according to a promotional brochure.
An art class in 1940.
Playing ping-pong game in the gymnasium. (Oak Leaves, 1942.)
A student signing in after a trip off-campus. (Oak Leaves, 1942)
During World War II, gas rationing meant that buses were critical to students. One alumna remembered, "The buses would take us to civic music concerts down in Memorial Auditorium, and take us to church.... Everybody rode the bus back then. Nobody had cars. When you went downtown or you went off for the weekend, you rode the bus."
(Oak Leaves, 1942)
This photo of a student in a laboratory appeared in the April, 1942 Acorn, the student literary magazine.
Another sort of transportation. (Oak Leaves, 1942.)
Appreciating an early 1940s snowfall. This photo is stored in the Class of 1943 class box in the Archives.
Step singing by the senior class, 1943.
A 1943 physical education class.
While not identified in the yearbook, this is likely a typewriting class taught by Miss Ellis (Oak Leaves, 1944.) In the 1945 Bulletin, the objective of the class is the "development of the ability to typewrite at the rate of at least fifty words a minute on letters, articles and similar material."
Other classes in the Business Department were: General Statistics, Elementary Shorthand, Accounting, Business Communications and Reports, Advanced Shorthand, Retail Distribution, Business Law, Office Management and Practice, Teaching of Business and Work Experience.
A gathering of foreign students attending Meredith College posed around a map, 1944.
Badminton game in the gymnasium (1944.)
Students in the new tumbling class, added to the curriculum in 1945.
Four seniors dressed in their Stunt costumes in 1945. "Lux" was a brand of soap - as well as the school's motto.
Sunbathing (1944-45.) According to mentions in the Twig, those seeking tans gathered on the breezeways between the dorms.
Students manned the campus switchboard in Johnson Hall.
This snapshot in the 1947 yearbook is captioned "After 6:10." Perhaps there has been a curfew violation?
A lovely place to gather outdoors somewhere on campus.
The two "summerhouse" gazebos were favorite landmarks and were located amongst the oak grove fronting the campus (1947.)
Showing off different basketball styles in the original gymnasium,
Play Day, 1947. Play Day was a chance for students and staff to compete against each other in various games and sports. Here the competitors appear to line up for a foot race in 1947. Athletic events took place on the areas of campus where Martin Hall, Campbell Library and Lux Hall are now.
Folk dancing was a popular activity on campus through classes and clubs.
Students entertaining their dates in one of the parlors in Johnson Hall (Oak Leaves, 1948.)
A dorm room gathering during some unscheduled time - one student is supplying music with her record player. (Oak Leaves, 1948.)
Dining hall bell (1949.)
Folk dancers for 1949's May Day.
Commencement, 1949, in the original auditorium. The new auditorium, Jones Hall, would be dedicated in September.
1941 First Play Day
1941 Two-week quarantine (October-November) as a result of one student contracting meningitis.
1942 “The Hut” built with student funds. The log building is used for various student meetings and events.
1942 Establishment of a music library.
1942 First summer school session on Meredith College campus.
1942 Placement of historical marker on Hillsborough St.
1945 First Corn Huskin’ Bee (Name changed to Cornhuskin’ in 1961.)
1945 A student brings her personal horse to campus, traditionally said to be the start of the Equitation program on campus.
1945 U.S.S. Meredith Victory commissioned. Named to honor War Loan Drive donations by students and staff.
1947 Honor Code adopted.
1949 Jones Auditorium dedicated as first new building since the Hillsborough Street campus was created in 1926.
1949 First annual horse show.
1949 Outdoor swimming pool opens.