Skip to Main Content

Buildings History

Poteat Residence Hall

Poteat Residence Hall provides suite-style housing for approximately 100 first year students. Each room has built in furniture and is connected to another room by a bathroom. The residence hall also has parlors, kitchenettes, and a laundry room. It is located on the east side of campus and is joined to Belk Dining Hall and to Faircloth Residence Hall by an arcade.  

History

The groundbreaking ceremony for Poteat Dormitory took place on September 26, 1961. This newest residence hall was dedicated and named  in honor of three members of the Poteat family: Ida Poteat, who served as the head of the art department from 1899 until 1940;  her nephew Rev. E. McNeill Poteat, a member of Meredith's Executive Committee and Board of Trustees; and her great-nephew Dr. William Poteat, a professor and president of Wake Forest College and an advisor to Meredith in establishing its curriculum.

The building opened to students  on Founders' Day, November 8, 1962. Poteat Residence Hall was built to house 106 senior students and cost $498,000. The rooms were arranged suite-style to accommodate 4 students and contained built-in furniture. Each floor had a kitchenette, lounge, laundry room and special facility for students to wash their hair.   

Images

Poteat Residence Hall, 1962

Poteat Residence Hall, 1962